Do you like eggplant? Well, try this tasty recipe in which stuffed baby eggplants are simmered in Punjabi Kadhi sauce. Easy yet flavourful recipe, this stuffed eggplant curry is a must try for all aubergine lovers.
7-8 baby eggplants, 1-2 tbsp oil to cook them
1 cup Yogurt + 2 cups water (Curry base)
1/4 cup besan/ Chickpea Flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp Red chilli pwd
Stuffing for eggplant:
1/4 cup raw peanuts
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup dry coconut flakes – unsweetened
( You can grate and use fresh coconut too)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp black pepper pwd
1/4 cup water
To make Punjabi Kadhi
2 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp Methre/ Fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
Small piece of ginger chopped
3/4 cup chopped onion
1. Wash the eggplants and remove their end part. In a separate bowl, add 1 cup yogurt, water , chickpea flour, salt, turmeric and red chilli pwd. Set aside for atleast 15 mins. (Longer the better. Overnight can be done too. Sour yogurt- i.e. few days old yogurt works best for this style of Kadhi)
2. Make two cuts along the length and width of eggplant ( almost like a cross), still keeping the eggplant together though.
3. Fill them up with the stuffing.
For stuffing, dry roast peanuts, sesame seeds, coconut flakes along with salt, garam masala and black pepper powder. Once the mixture is brown, transfer into a blender. Add water and make a coarse paste. fill into eggplants.
4. Cook eggplants in a wok/pan until 80 %done. should be blackish-brown on all sides.
5. While eggplant is cooking, heat another pan/wok and add 2 tbsp oil. In hot oil, add fenugreek seeds, cumin , ginger and onions. Fry for 2-3 mins. Incase you have any leftover stuffing masala. add in. If not, its ok…no big deal.
6. Add in curry base ( yogurt+ water, spices and chickpea flour)
7. Cook until it comes to a boil while stirring. Curry will thicken up. Add in cooked eggplants and let them simmer for few mins.
Serve this delicious curry over rice or along with flatbread of your choice.
Like eggplant- check out our collection of eggplant recipes here: http://www.pinterest.com/eateastindian/eggplant-recipes/