Lentils is one of the most common food dishes made in Indian households. In this recipe video, you’ll learn how to make Brown Lentils (Whole Masar) in slow cooker and season it with flavorful Tadka. This Indian Lentils Stew is really healthy, easy to prepare and so hearty and comforting. These Lentils can be enjoyed over rice, with roti, paratha, naan or other kinds of breads.
2 cups Brown Lentils
8 cups of water
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Turmeric (Haldi)
2 tsp Red chilli pwd (or for milder taste Paprika)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1 large onion
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tbsp Ginger-garlic paste
1 Green chilli
2 tbsp oil
Optional: Dallops of butter/ Ghee, Cilantro leaves, Julienne Ginger etc
1. Add lentils in slow cooker along with water.
2. Add salt, turmeric, Red chilli pwd
3. Cook for 2 hours.
4. Prepare Tadka (Tempering/ Seasoning) by heating 2 tbsp oil in a wok.
5. Add cumin seeds. Fry for 30 secs. Add onions, green chilli and ginger-garlic paste
6. Cook for 3-4 mins. Add tomatoes and let them turn mushy. Add in garam masala and mix well.
7. Add tadka in the lentils and let cook further for 30 mins. Cooking further is optional.
These lentils will be thick. More water can be added during cooking process for soupy consistency.