Want to learn how to make Pav Buns at home (part of popular Indian street food- Pav Bhaji) ?Normally Pav Buns are made out of all purpose or bread flour. However, I used mainly Whole Wheat Flour (in combination with all purpose flour) and minimal butter to prepare this healthy version of Indian style Dinner rolls.
These Pav buns are best enjoyed with Bhaji-
Recipe here: Pav Bhaji
2.25 Cups Whole Wheat Flour (2 and 1/4 cup flour)
1.25 Cup all purpose flour (1 and 1/4 cup flour)
(In total 3.5 cups flour)
1 pack of yeast- 8 gm (equals to 2.25 tsp )
50 ml lukewarm water (1/4 cup)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2-3 tbsp oil (butter)
3/4 cup lukewarm water (to knead the dough)
and small amount of butter to add on top of buns.
-Mix salt with flours and set aside.
– Mix yeast in 1/4 cup water. Add sugar. Let it stand for 10 mins until yeast becomes frothy.
– Mix in yeast with flour. Add 1 tbsp oil and mix together.
– Gradually add water to form smooth dough.
– Once the dough is ready, add tbsp of oil more (basically pat the oil onto dough). Cover the dough with wet kitchen cloth and let it stand for 3-4 hours.
– Once the dough doubles in volume, form 12 tennis ball size dough balls. Place them onto greased baking tray. Once again, let the dough balls rise (approx 45 mins)
– Preheat the oven to 400 F and bake for 10-15 mins. Then add on butter/oil on top and cook until tops are golden brown (another 15 mins or so)
– Serve these delicious and freshly made buns with Bhaji or curry of your choice.