This nutritious snack from Gujarat in Western India is very popular and available in sweet shops all over the India. It tastes very delicious,try cooking it at home!
• Bengal gram/ besan- 1/2 cup
• Ginger-Green chili paste- 1tsp
• Sugar- 2 tsp
• Water- 1/2 cup
• Citric acid crystals- ¼ tsp
• Salt to taste
• Baking powder / Eno – ¾ tsp
For tempering :-
• Oil- 1tbsp
• Mustard seeds- 1tsp
• Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
• Green chillies- 2 finely chopped
• Asafetida / hing- a pinch
• Curry leaves
For garnishing :-
• Chopped coriander- 1tbsp
• Grated coconut- 1tbsp
1) In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup besan (chickpea flour), 1/4 tsp citric acid crystals, 2 tsp sugar, ½ tsp ginger paste, ½ tsp green chili paste and salt to taste. Stir to mix, then add 1/2 cup water to make a batter of pouring consistency and mix well .
2) Combine 3/4 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp citric acid, and then sprinkle it on the batter. Stir it gently into the batter; you will see it forms bubbles. Pour immediately into the well greased pan.
3) Pressure cook for 15-20 minutes, just like you do for Idlis without whistle.
4) Once the Dhokla is cooked completely, switch off the stove and leave it for 5 minutes to cool.
Take a serving plate, place it on top of the pan and invert the pan. The dhokla should fall as is into the plate.
5) Meanwhile, prepare the tempering. Heat 1 tbsp oil, and then add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, pinch of asafetida ,curry leaves. Take the tempering off the heat, and pour the tempering mixture over the dhokla. Cut into wedges
6) Garnish with grated coconut and Coriander and serve warm.
1) Sandwich dhokla is basically a dhokla sandwiched with green chutney.
2) Cook the first layer as described above( Keep the thickness of the layer relatively less)
3 )Then spread the green chutney over it and pour the remaining batter over it by repeating the same process as with the first portion of batter and steam for 10 min. Allow it to cool.
4) Paneer slices can also be sandwiched between the two layers.
Picture taken from Surf India and Sparken.in
Recipe taken from