Learn how to prepare Lamb Curry at home Indian style called Lamb Rogan Josh. This flavourful dish is mild in taste yet flavorful and aromatic. A must try dish for all Lamb meat Lovers, best when served with rice or naan.
350 gms Lamb
3 tbsp Yogurt
1/4 tsp Salt + 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2-3 tbsp oil
1 tsp paprika
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1 black cardamom
2 green cardamom
1 chopped onion
2 tomatoes (Pureed)
1/4 cup Red Bell pepper (I love to use them as they give a good bite to the curry and enhance the color)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
10-12 tsp saffron strands
Cilantro leaves for garnish
- Marinade lamb pieces with yogurt,salt, curry powder and ginger-garlic paste for at least 30 mins. Overnight would be best.
- When you are ready to cook, heat 2-3 tbsp oil in a pan and saute cinnamons tick, bay leaf and cardamoms for 2 mins. Add onions and fry for 3-4 mins.
- Once onions start changing color, add puree of two tomatoes, salt and paprika. Cover the pan and cook for 5-6 mins.
- Check to see if your masala paste is ready. Oil will be oozing out and tomatoes would have reduced in volume. Now add the lamb and brown for 2-3 mins. Add Red Bell pepper.
- Mix thoroughly. Add Saffron and nutmeg. Next, add 1/2 to 1 cup of water depending on how thick or thin you want the gravy.
- Once the water comes to a boil, simmer lamb further for 3-4 mins. Lamb Rogan josh is now ready. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve hot with naan, roti, paratha or rice.