View the video here: Indian Rice pudding, Kheer recipe
• 1/4 cup short/medium grained rice
• 4 cups whole milk (go for low fat only if absolutely necessary)
• Sugar to taste – I used 3 tbsp ( 1/4- 1/2 cup should be enough )
• Pinch of saffron
• 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
• 1-2 tbsp nuts ( Almonds, pistachios and cashews)
• 4-5 raisins (or more if you like it)
• 1 tsp Ghee (preferred more than butter)
• Take a heavy bottom pan and add milk to it. Increase the heat to med-high and let it come to a boil.
• Add saffron, cardamom.
• Now add soaked rice to it. Generally , rice soaked in warm water for 1-2 hours will do for this recipe.
• Give it an occasional stir so that the milk does not stick to the bottom.
• Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the milk has reduced in half. Keep stirring often. You know it is done when the milk has reduced and also the rice has cooked and is soft (not mushy). This process takes approximately 20-30minutes.
• Now roast the nuts in butter or ghee and add half of them to the kheer and sugar as desired.
• Give it a stir until combined and serve garnished with the remaining nuts.