Spicy Kerala Fish Curry Recipe : Hot and spicy fish curry!!
• Fish – 250 gm
• Tamarind- A small bowl in hot water
• Onions(big) – 1 no(sliced)
• Tomato(big) – 1 no (sliced)
• Curry leaves – A small bunch
• Red Chilly powder – 3 tsp
• Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
• Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
• Fenugreek(Uluva) powder – 1/4 tsp
• Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
• Ginger – 1/2″ piece
• Garlic pods – 4 nos
• Salt – As reqd
• Mustard seeds – A Pinch
• Fenugreek seeds(Uluva) – A pinch
• Clean the fish, drain and keep aside.
• Mix together the red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and fenugreek powder with little water, to make a smooth paste.
• Heat oil in a pan.
• Add mustard seeds and when they start spluttering, add fenugreek seeds followed by the sliced onions, ginger, garlic, tomatoes, curry leaves and the paste and fry till the oil separates.
• You could use a cup of small onions instead of big onions.
• Add a tsp of vinegar if desired. ( optional)
• Add tamarind extract and check the level of sourness.
• When the water starts boiling, add the fish pieces and salt.
• Add enough water to cover the pieces.
• Cook on a gentle heat.
• When the pieces are almost cooked, increase the heat and cook till the gravy thickens and the oil is visible.
• Serve hot with rice.
• If u really think the curry is too hot, reduce chilli/ or add two tea spoon of coconut milk.
• When u make fish or meat curries, try to make the curry one day before, so that the curry will absorb all that masala and taste better the next day.
• If u like the smell of coriander leaves in ur curries, u can add some in this fish curry too.
• Last but not the least, Kukum star (Kudampuli) is a very good substitute for tamarind.