Delicious, full of flavour, vegan, gluten free and protein rich dish from Punjabi cuisine, world famous, Rajma Masala. Here’s how mom use to cook it.
1 cup red kidney beans ( I use uncooked beans and then soak them in water overnight before boiling them)
1 large onion ( or 2 medium)
3-4 cloves of garlic
2-3 inch piece of ginger
1 black cardamom
1 stick of cinnamon
1 bay leaf
2-3 tbsp oil for cooking
1/2 tsp garam masala
3-4 tomatoes (+ 1,2 cups of water)
Salt per taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
– Boil beans in pressure cooker.
– Make onion paste with onions, ginger and garlic.
– Fry onion paste in hot oil along with cumin, bay leaf, cinnamon and cardamom. Add salt, turmeric and red chilli powder.
– Cook for 4 to 5 mins.
– Add tomato puree ( chopped tomatoes pureed in blender along with 1-2 cups of water)
– Add beans. Cook further for 15-20 mins.
– Add garam masala. Mix well. Garnish and serve.