Kadai Masala is a flavourful Indian spice blend that can make ordinary curry dishes extraordinary. Basically we roast whole spices and then grind them to make this masala powder.
(masala would be enough to prepare 1-2 curry dishes)
12-15 Black peppercorn
5-6 green cardamom pods
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1.5 tbsp coriander seeds
You can also grind bay leaf and cinnamon stick or use them as such in your dish.
Dry roast all your whole spices and then grind them to make a powder (masala) and you it in your dishes ( towards the end of the preparation method)
Learn how to prepare simple Veg biryani at home. This tasty and easy rice dish is best enjoyed with plain yogurt, raita, pickles or chutney. Complete meal in itself, this biryani recipe is not only delicious but quick and super easy to make.
1.5 cup rice
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
2 green cardamom
1 black cardamom
1 small onion
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
Salt per taste (may we recommend 1.5 tsp)
1 green chilli
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Vegetables of your choice (2 cups)
2-3 stalks of cilantro leaves for garnish
1/2 cup well beaten plain yogurt
1. Soak rice in cold water for atleast 10 mins.
2. In a pot, heat 2 tbsp of oil and fry whole spices (Bay leaf, cardamoms, cinnamon stick, peppercorn and cloves) for atleasta minute.
3. Add double the quantity of water in the pot and bring it to boil. Once it starts boiling, add rice and cook until water evaporates and rice are done. (about 10 mins or so)
4. Set rice aside. While the rice is cooking, in a pan heat 2 tbsp butter and fry 1/4 tsp cumin seeds. After 30 secs, add onions, green chilli, turmeric, paprika, salt and ginger garlic paste. Saute for 2-3 mins.
5. Add vegetables of your choice and further fry for 4-5 mins. Add plain yogurt. Mix well and cook along with vegetables until they are done.
6. Layer rice and vegetables one after the other in a deep dish or casserole. Garnish with cilantro leaves and gently mix.
Serve hot with plain yogurt or raita, pickles or chutney.
Bitter Gourd is not a very popular vegetable since its bitter in taste. However, its good for our system as it’s a blood purifier and also helps control blood sugar levels. Highly recommended food for Diabetic people or when you are recovering from illness.
Here’s a simple way to prepare it:
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large onion
Salt per taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
3-4 Bitter Gourd
Optional- 1/2 tsp garam masala
Peel the skin ( you can choose to leave it on as well) and chop Bitter Gourd into bite size pieces. Set aside. In hot oil, add cumin seeds and add onions along with salt and turmeric. Once tender, add bitter gourd and cover with a lid. Let it cook until bitter gourd is soft and golden brown (7-10 mins) Serve with whole wheat roti or parantha
Chai Latte is easy, tasty and so good for your health. Here is my version of Masala Chai.
I am using loose leaf tea from Tea affair (vedicteas.com) for this video and if you are using it..you dont need any spices but for regular tea.. if you add the spices listed below, you get this amazing tea latte.
You can make your own Tea Masala At home too. Follow our recipe for great tasting tea.
1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 tsp loose leaf tea of your choice or 1 tea bag
Sugar as desired
2 green cardamom
1 stick of cinnamon
4 black peppercorns
1/2 tbsp Fennel seeds
small piece of ginger
– Heat water and add all spices. Let them simmer. Add tea and milk. Bring to boil and let simmer until desired color is achieved. Serve hot.
This is an easy recipe which shows how to prepare Instant Idli batter at home using Sooji/Rava ( Semolina/Cream of Wheat) and yogurt. You can then prepare these crepes instead of vegetable idlis to enjoy as a snack, for breakfast or for the road.
1 cup Sooji/ Cream of wheat
1 cup yogurt
1/2 to 1 cup water
Spices as per your taste. 1 tsp Salt/ 1 tsp red chilli pwd ( or for milder version- Paprika)/ 1 tsp dry mint powder (Pudina powder)
1 -2 cup of veggies of your choice. I add: Peppers, onions, carrots and spinach. Mushroom is a good one to add. My mom adds tomatoes which I am not too found of them in this batter.
Prepare the batter with Yogurt, sooji and water. Add veggies. Add spices and then cook for 5 mins on a skillet with a little bit of oil. Enjoy with tomato chutney.
Do you like Ricotta? How about trying this delicious, flavourful Ricotta- Peas dish which goes well with any kind of flatbread or simply enjoy it on its own 🙂 This recipe is for 1- 2 people.
1/2 cup Peas
1/2 cup Ricotta
small piece of onion chopped
1/2 cup of tomatoes chopped
3-4 garlic cloves chopped
1-2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
Salt per taste
1/2 tsp red chilli pwd/Paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric (Haldi)
Optional- 1/4 tsp garam masala or seasoning pepper
Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves
– Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin and mustard seeds. Saute some onions/garlic/ Peas. Add spices. Add tomatoes. give few more mins for all flavours to mingle. Add ricotta. Mix well. Add pepper. Garnish with coriander/cilantro leaves and serve with roti or your fav flatbread.
Navratre is an Indian/Hindu festival which lasts for 9 days and lot of people fast during these 9 days ( can fast 1 day or whole period) eating a special diet. This simple Potato dish is one simple recipe that is allowed to be had during these 9 days. Here is how we make it 🙂
2 tbsp oil
1 Large potato or 2-3 small/medium size potatoes
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp ajwain/carom seeds
1/2 tsp rock salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried ginger ( Sund)
2-3 tbsp Yogurt
Method: Heat oil in a pan and add seeds. Add potatoes. Mix well and add spices. Cover and cook for 5-6 mins. When almost done, add yogurt and let cook further for 2 mins. Then turn the heat off and serve potatoes. They taste delicious on their own and make for a great side dish as well.
This is a super simple protein rich pancakes recipe which are not only healthy but taste good too. I make these plain for the kids and load them up/ make them a bit spicy for myself ( Check my spicy lentil pancakes recipe.) You can enjoy them with any chutney of your choice but my kids like them with Dahi 🙂
1-2 cups of Mixed Dal/Lentils
Water for soaking the lentils and grinding them to make a coarse paste
Salt/Asafoetida/roasted cumin powder/paprika to add into the batter
desi ghee/oil/butter for cooking batter on a skillet.
2 sweet Potatoes – Boil and mash them.
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds (Methre) – These lend that unique flavour to the dish.
1 tbsp grated ginger
1 small chopped tomato
1/2 tsp seasoning pepper. Optional 1/2 tsp garam masala (or curry powder)
2-3 tbsp oil
Spices- Salt, Turmeric and Red chilli powder/ Paprika
– Get sweet potatoes ready (boil, peel and mash them)
– Heat oil in a pan and add cumin and fenugreek seeds. Let them sizzle and add onions and ginger. Add salt, turmeric and red chilli powder
– Fry for 2-3 mins and add sweet potatoes. Mix well. Add tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 mins. Season with pepper/ garam masala and serve warm.