Gluten free, Vegan, Protein rich, Fiber rich and flavourful..this soup will keep you full for hours.
1 cup of Brown Rice (Soak them in water for 30 mins)
1/2 cup chickpeas soaked overnight
2-3 tbsp oil
1 black cardamom
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
1 large onion
1 tsp salt (adjust per taste)
1 tsp Red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4-5 cups of water
Cilantro leaves for garnish
– Soak rice for 30 mins. You can use canned chickpeas or if you are using fresh ones (like I am), Soak them in water overnight.
– Heat oil in a cooker. Fry black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf. Give 30 secs. Add onions. Mix well. Give them 2-3 mins.
– Add chick peas. Stir them in. Add salt, cumin powder, red chilli powder and nutmeg.
– Mix and cook for 2-3 mins. Add rice (discard the water they were soaking in). Add water.
– close the lid and cook for 3-4 whistles. Longer if you didn’t presoak the ingredients.
– Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve warm.