Indian Cuisine is often associated with Butter Chicken and Naan and why not it’s such a delicious dish. Pair succulent and flavorful Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice or Indian flatbread called Naan, eat it for lunch or dinner, prepare it for friends and family during special occasions or simply indulge yourself. It’s one dish that is loved by all and is evergreen. Yes, you heard me right..no matter what the season, Butter chicken is evergreen. I am not surprised when restaurant owners tell me that it’s one of the best selling dish on their restaurant’s menu.
Whether you are settled in U.K or another part of Europe, India, Australia or North America, I am sure you must have tasted Butter Chicken atleast once or perhaps would have heard about it. Now if your curiosity is killing you and you want to make this dish in the comfort of your own kitchen then here we present five amazing and must try Butter Chicken recipes. Give them a go and we’re sure that one of these will find a soft spot in your heart forever 🙂
1. Traditional and Authentic Butter chicken Recipe : This classic version of Butter Chicken dish is our family’s favourite.
Chicken and Marinade:
• 500g boneless chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tsp red chilli powder
• 1 tsp Tandoori Masala
• 0.5 tsp cumin powder
• 0.5 tsp coriander powder
• 4 tbsp yoghurt
• Few drops lemon
• 0.5 cup butter
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic
• 1 tbsp chopped ginger
• 2 large tomatoes, quartered
• 3 tbsp vegetable oil (approximated)
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 green cardamom pods
• 3 cloves
• 1 tbsp tomato paste
• 1 — 1.5 tsp salt
• 0.5 tsp Haldi (turmeric powder)
• 0.5 tsp red chilli powder
• 0.5 tsp Amchur (mango powder)
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
• 0.5 cup whipping cream
• A pinch of Kasoori Methi (ground fenugreek leaves)
• 0.5 tsp black pepper
• 0.5 tsp Garam Masala
• Coriander leaves, to garnish
• Add chicken and marinade ingredients to a bowl and mix well until all ingredients are well-combined
• Cover with cling film and store in fridge for at least an hour (more is better)
• Melt butter in a large saucepan and add cumin seeds and fry for one minute
• Add onion, ginger and garlic then fry until the onion turns golden brown (5-6 minutes)
• Remove onion from butter then puree
• Add tomatoes to the saucepan and sauté for 2-3 minutes
• Remove sautéed tomatoes and puree
• Add vegetable oil to saucepan and turn to high heat
• When hot, add bay leaves, cardamom and cloves and fry for one minute
• Add chicken and marinade and fry for 5-6 minutes until it turns white
• Add onion and tomato purees along with tomato paste to the saucepan
• Simmer on low heat until chicken is tender and fully cooked
• Remove whole spices from saucepan
• Add salt, Haldi (turmeric powder), red chilli powder, Amchur (mango powder), brown sugar and ground cinnamon
• Simmer for 15 minutes
• Add whipping cream and simmer for another 5 minutes
• Add Kasoori Methi, Garam Masala and black pepper
• Simmer for another 2 minutes
• Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with Naan or freshly cooked Basmati Rice
2. Restaurant Style Butter Chicken Recipe A quick version of restaurant style Butter Chicken, this recipe can easily be created by home cooks and foodies within no time.
400 gm boneless chicken
Salt, Red chilli pwd, Black Pepper, Tandoori Masala
Tomato Puree of 3 tomatoes
tbsp Garlic, green chilli
Coriander pwd, cinnamon, garam masala, Kasoori methi ( dried fenugreek leaves)
Butter for cooking
Cilantro for garnish
The process of preparing this dish is explained in the video below:
Take advantage of your oven and recreate flavorful butter chicken in your kitchen by using some simple everyday ingredients.
For this recipe, you will require:
2 tbsp Sourcream
1 tbsp melted butter
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 cup tomato puree (I made my own with fresh tomatoes)
1 tsp Turmeric
0.5 tsp red chiili pwd
1 tsp cumin pwd
0.5 tsp cinnamon
500 gms chicken thighs
Salt ( as per taste)
1 tsp Garam masala
Garnish with Cilantro
Bake for 35 min at 350 F ( until no longer pink). Serve with Basmati rice
4. Super simple, easy and healthier Butter Chicken Recipe : Want a no-fuss simple homemade Butter Chicken, well this is your go to recipe. In this recipe we create a healthier Butter chicken with a few spices. Chicken is first marinated with yogurt, salt, garam masala, tandoori pwd and cinnamon, cooked in the oven and then added in a delicious tomato-onion based gravy.
5. How to make Butter Chicken Sauce at home Incase you are a vegetarian and just want to prepare Butter Chicken sauce or want to add other vegetables, paneer or tofu to silky smooth tomato gravy then you are in luck because here is your perfect recipe. Many might argue that butter chicken sauce does not have onions but we would beg to differ and suggest that you can omit onions if you don’t want them but this version is simple amazing.
This flavorful onion and tomato based creamy curry is not only great for making Butter Chicken but is also a perfect sauce for making shahi paneer, malai kofta, chicken curry, veg korma etc. This delicious sauce is rich and delicious, great to be enjoyed with naan or over rice.
2 small chopped onions
4 cloves of garlic
2 inch piece of ginger
Salt per taste
250 ml cream
2 tbsp desi ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 green cardamom
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp kasoori methi
1.5 cup of water
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chilli pwd
Green chilli (optional if you want to make the sauce spicier)
Cilantro can be used for garnishing
1. Melt 2 tbsp of ghee and add cumin , coriander and green cardamom seeds. Fry for 2 mins.
2. add onions, ginger and garlic and add salt, red chilli pwd and turmeric.
3. Fry for 5 mins and add tomatoes. Cover and cook for 5 more mins.
4. Turn off the heat and let cool down.
5. Transfer mixture into blender. Add water and puree to make smooth gravy.
6. Transfer back to pan and gradually add more water and let simmer for 2-3 mins.
7. Add cream, garam masala and kasoori methi.
8. Now, in the sauce you can add cooked chicken, paneer, koftas or vegetables of your choice and serve.