The most common food in the world is Potato and it is found in abundance in India too.
Five very simple and quick East Indian entree’s involving potatoes are:
1. Aloo Gobi (Cauliflower & potato dish)
2. Aloo- Shimla mirch (Potato & Capsicum/Green Pepper dish)
3. Aloo- Gajar (Potato & carrot dish)
4. Aloo- Matar (Potatoes & Peas)
5. Aloo- Baingan (Potato & Egg Plant)
Aloo- Gobi Ingredients :
1 large cauliflower
2 potatoes, peeled & diced
1 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
1 green chillies
1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red pepper flakes or paprika or red chilli powder
1 tsp Garam masala
½ tsp cumin seeds
3 tbsp oil or ghee/clarified butter
2 tsp ginger-garlic finely chopped or paste
Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, allow to splutter.
Add onion and green chilli, saute till pink.
Add ginger -garlic and all spices.
Add potatoes and cauliflower chunks.
Cover the pan and let it cook until vegetables are soft. Usually takes about 10 minutes.
Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
Garnish with coriander/cilantro and enjoy with Roti or naan.
(Note: If you want to have some gravy in the dish then make a paste out of onions, ginger, garlic, tomatoes cilantro/coriander, little bit of water and 2 spoons of yogurt and add in the ghee before adding potatoes and cauliflower)
– Cauliflower can be substituted with Peas, Carrots, Green Pepper or Egg Plant to make an alternate dish.
– It is Turmeric and East Indian spices in Garam Masala (blend of various spices, easily available at big superstores or East Indian Grocery shops) that give color, taste and nice flavor to these East Indian Entrees.
Until next time, Happy Cooking!