Hi guys, when holidays come, you can gift this delicious burfi to your friends and family. This homemade coconut fudge is perfect for Valentines day as well. Don’t forget that this also makes for a great hostess gift as well to share with neighbors. It looks and tastes exotic but is really simple to make.
2 cups of unsweetened coconut flakes
300 ml of condensed milk
1 cup sooji ( cream of wheat/ semolina)
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
2-3 tbsp of ghee/butter
2-3 tbsp coconut oil
3-4 drops of any flavour you want ( i used Kewra essence for my recipe. It is Panadanas Syrup used to flavour north Indian and Pakistani sweets. )
1. In a pan, add ghee or butter. Once melted, fry sooji for 4-5 mins on medium low heat.
2. In another pan, fry coconut flakes in coconut oil. Thoroughly coat them with oil and roast for 7-8 mins (or until the raw flavor of coconut is out, it will start emitting nice aroma). Mix coconut and sooji.
3. Add Milk , cardamom powder and Kewra essence. Roast for another 5 mins.
We used dry unsweetened shredded coconut. Fresh coconut can also be used but it will just take longer to cook.
4. When mixture starts thickening up and leaving sides of the pan. Turn off the heat. Let mixture cool down ( let it be still warm though) and transfer to a plate/pan lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place it in the fridge/freezer for 3- 4 hrs.
5. Cut into bite size squares and serve at room temp or place in a festive box and give as a gift.