Here’s a recipe for my mother’s special Punjabi Aloo Vadi Curry which is loved by all of us kids including my brother, sister in law and other members of the family. This spicy curry includes Paneer, Soya chunks, Peas, Potatoes and of course World famous Amritsari Vadiyaan.
1-2 Vadiyaan ( If spicy)
1 large onion
3-4 cloves of garlic chooped
Small piece of ginger
1 cup Soya chunks
2 cup Peas
250-300 gm Paneer
Spices per taste. We used
2 tsp salt
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli pwd
1 tsp garam masala
3 tbsp tomato paste
2 ladles full yogurt ( or 1 cup)
5-6 cups of water
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves ( Kasoori Methi)
1. Break vadi into chunks ( with your rolling pin or another heavy object like hammer). Fry chunks until shade darker and vadi starts to emit nice aroma.
2. Boil 2 potatoes in a pot. Once done peel the skin and mash them.
3. In a large pot, fry onions, ginger and garlic in 2 tbsp oil. saute for couple of mins and once they start to change color, add spices, fry till golden brown. Add Tomato paste and yogurt.
4. Add vadiyan and chopped potato and peas. Mix well.
5. Add water, soya chunks and mashed potatoes. Let everything come to a boil and then add paneer and simmer for 5-6 mins.
6. Add Kasoori Methi and serve with your favourite Indian Flatbread.