Learn how to prepare simple Veg biryani at home. This tasty and easy rice dish is best enjoyed with plain yogurt, raita, pickles or chutney. Complete meal in itself, this biryani recipe is not only delicious but quick and super easy to make.
1.5 cup rice
2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp butter
1 bay leaf
1 cinnamon stick
2 green cardamom
1 black cardamom
1 small onion
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp turmeric
Salt per taste (may we recommend 1.5 tsp)
1 green chilli
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
Vegetables of your choice (2 cups)
2-3 stalks of cilantro leaves for garnish
1/2 cup well beaten plain yogurt
1. Soak rice in cold water for atleast 10 mins.
2. In a pot, heat 2 tbsp of oil and fry whole spices (Bay leaf, cardamoms, cinnamon stick, peppercorn and cloves) for atleasta minute.
3. Add double the quantity of water in the pot and bring it to boil. Once it starts boiling, add rice and cook until water evaporates and rice are done. (about 10 mins or so)
4. Set rice aside. While the rice is cooking, in a pan heat 2 tbsp butter and fry 1/4 tsp cumin seeds. After 30 secs, add onions, green chilli, turmeric, paprika, salt and ginger garlic paste. Saute for 2-3 mins.
5. Add vegetables of your choice and further fry for 4-5 mins. Add plain yogurt. Mix well and cook along with vegetables until they are done.
6. Layer rice and vegetables one after the other in a deep dish or casserole. Garnish with cilantro leaves and gently mix.
Serve hot with plain yogurt or raita, pickles or chutney.
Two Amazing Raita recipes